System Design Support Engineer – Submarine Systems
Purpose of job
To support the Submarine Systems SDA team
Chief Engineer of Submarine Systems Division
In line with work package agreements
Dorset Innovation Park, Winfrith
At Atlas Elektronik UK, we support our staff to create work-life balance and encourage applications from individuals who are looking for part time or condensed hours as well as full time opportunities.
The System Design Support Engineer will be responsible for providing support to the System Design Authority team within Submarine Systems Division. As such, the role will involve assisting the coordination and application of the AEUK Systems Engineering Lifecycle within projects. The role will involve supporting bids and embryonic opportunities throughout the division as well as delivery projects. Where applicable, the role will include support to and coordination with the other Divisions where the work relates to similar or associated projects and opportunities for Submarine Systems Division.
Knowledge and experience depending, the role may involve delegated design ownership of sub-systems within delivery projects and of in-service equipment. In this respect the role provides the opportunity for applicants to gain experience of making, and taking responsibility for, design decisions and change control.
The System Design Support Engineer will collate information and help drive product and technology road maps for the division to help deliver a holistic approach to Submarine Systems Division future planning.
Although reporting to the Submarine Systems Chief Engineer, day to day management will be through one of the System Design Authority team as appropriate to the allocated work.
Knowledge and skills required
- An Engineering or Scientific background with some experience of working in an industry or government environment
- An awareness of engineering development lifecycles
- Problem solving skills
- Good communication skills, both written and oral
- An awareness of Naval / Maritime systems or other military domains is advantageous but not essential.
Examples of application
- Provide focussedsupport to the SDA team in delivering systems
- Support other P&L divisions where work relates to Submarine Systems Division interests
- Support Bids development
- Review and help write technical documents for internal and external use
- Represent the SDA associated with allocated work at meetings (when needed) and record discussion / actions
- Collate information for, and help drive product and technology road maps for an holistic approach to Subs future planning
Key accountabilities may include
- Responsible for delivering bid, project and planning outputs based on the project work allocated.
- Working closely with SDAs associated with allocated work and wider Submarines Division team as well as the Engineering/Production/Support Division teams allocated to the associated projects.
- Organisedand self-motivated; must be able to deliver tasks with limited supervision
- The ability to extract key facts from information
- Effective communication skills across multi-discipline projects
- Flexible and adaptive.
- Effective time management within a multi-tasking environment;
- The ability to work effectively within a growing, changing workplace
- Promote a “can do” attitude
- A desire to learn from others
The successful candidate must be able to achieve full SC (Security Clearance).
How to apply
Please forward your CV and a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the post to Recruitment
Due to the nature of our work and the projects you will be working on, all candidates must be eligible to gain security clearance. ATLAS ELEKTRONIK UK Ltd is an Equal Opportunities employer and welcomes applications for all posts from suitably qualified people regardless of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, religion or belief.
Only successful applicants will be contacted.
Dorset DT2 8ZB